020 7529 1590
FIND YOUR BRANCH
ESU ON TWITTER
2013-14 application closing date: Wednesday 18 September, 2013
Applications for two-term scholarships, leaving for America after A-levels (or equivalent) in January 2014, are now open. Please see below for eligibility and information on how to apply.
A gap year with a difference
Since 1928, the ESU has offered thousands of young people the once in a lifetime opportunity to spend a year or six months in a private North American high school, after A-levels.
A Secondary School Exchange scholarship allows you to study subjects which do not feature in a British school syllabus, without the pressure of A-levels. The study skills that can be gained from the exchange have proven to be beneficial at University: American teaching emphasises independence of thought, and discussions play a large part in the classroom.Your independence, wider outlook and increased maturity will be of benefit to you at university and in your future career.
- You must have completed your A-levels (or equivalent) before departing and be intending to study at a UK university on your return.
- You should be under 19 years and 6 months of age when you take up the scholarship.
- Scholars are expected to commit to the full term of their scholarship (two term - 6 months; three term - 9 months)
- You must be a British Citizen.
For a full list of participating schools, click here. Please note that the ESU matches scholars with schools, but applicants are invited to state their preference (e.g. urban single-sex). Each school offers a unique and valuable experience, whether the environment is a familiar one, or entirely new.
How to apply
The application deadline for 2013-14 two-term scholarships is Wednesday 18 September, 2013. Please download and complete the following forms:
Please note that forms 2 and 3 require signatures. Please return completed forms by email or post to:
SSE - Education Department, English-Speaking Union, Dartmouth House, 37 Charles Street, London W1J 5ED
It is the responsibility of the applicant to make sure that your confidential reference is emailed or posted to the ESU, together with the form, by the deadline. References sent by the applicant themselves must be signed by the referee.
Shortlisted applicants will be invited to interview. Interviews will take place at Dartmouth House in London in early October. If successful at interview, your application will be forwarded to a committee of headteachers from participating host schools in America. Please note that acceptance at both stages is necessary for a place to be allocated.
Three term scholarships
- The closing date for applications is in late February. Application forms will be available on this page in early December.
- Interviews are in March
- Students leave for the USA in early September (after completion of A-Levels or equivalent)
Two term scholarships
- The closing date for applications is in mid September (after completion of your A-Levels or equivalent)
- Interviews are in October
- Students leave for the US in early January
During your time in North America you will:
- develop new academic and social skills, have opportunities to travel, try new sports and meet life-long friends
- learn new subjects and study with different teaching methods, learn to share ideas with others and also challenge your ideas and preconceptions
More importantly, this is an opportunity like no other to learn about yourself and what you can achieve.
For more information download the leaflet.