ESU Oracy Affiliate School
If you have engaged with the ESU’s competitions or educational programmes, you may now use the title of ‘ESU Oracy Affiliate School’ and display the official Oracy Affiliate School logo (sent to you upon registration) on your website and in other school communications. This new initiative – ‘ESU Oracy Affiliate School’ status – aims to raise the profile of oracy education in schools and recognises that the schools concerned take oracy education seriously.
The need to raise awareness and the status of oracy education in the UK was a key finding of the recent Oracy All-Party Parliamentary Group report Speak for Change.
Such schools share the APPG and the ESU’s determination to:
- Raise the status and priority of oracy in education
- Equip and empower teachers and schools to develop their students oracy skills, providing them with tools and resources they need to do this
Why take part?
Evidence shows that schools which value and promote oracy:
- Improve the academic outcomes for their students
- Underpin student literacy and vocabulary acquisition
- Support students’ wellbeing and confidence
- Develop citizenship and agency
- Enable young people to access employment and thrive in life beyond school
The ESU looks forward to working ever more closely with its ESU Oracy Affiliate Schools in terms of greater participation in ESU competitions and access to ESU resources and direct delivery opportunities.