What: Research scholarship for teachers to investigate oracy practice in the USA
Grant: £2,000 – £2,500
When: Annually; applications usually open in the autumn term. Applications are currently open for submissions, closing on the 20 February 2023.
Entering its centenary year in 2023, the English-Speaking Union’s Walter Hines Page scholarships enable UK teaching professionals to travel to America to research an oracy or communication project of their choosing that can also help inform our own work in this field.
Applicants must be a member of the ESU or the Chartered College of Teaching.
- Grant worth £2,000 to £2,500 to help cover the cost of travel and in-country living expenses
- Chance to spend time in the US pursuing areas of academic interest
- Fantastic opportunity for professional development, and a differentiating factor on your CV
- Opportunity to engage with and explore different methods of teaching and education
- Exposure to other points of view and a different way of life
- Opportunity to connect and exchange views with people on a deeper level than may be possible as a tourist
20 UK teachers have been awarded Walter Hines Page Scholarships over the past five years
Find out more
Applications open in the autumn term and close in February each year. Interviews take place in March. Successful applicants can travel anytime within the following academic year. Please read the guidance notes linked from this page for more information before applying.
If you would like to apply, please download and complete the application form linked on this page and submit this, along with your research proposal, to email@example.com before 6pm on Monday 20 February 2023.
Read past Scholarship awardee Laura Barbour’s blog about her experience here.
If you have any questions or queries about the Walter Hines Page Scholarship, please email firstname.lastname@example.org