- What: Two-year US research fellowship for postdoctoral scientists
- Grant: $50,000 per annum, plus a £1,000 travel grant
- When: Applications close in February each year with interviews in April
The English-Speaking Union and Lindemann Trust offer up to five two-year grants a year, each worth $50,000 per annum, for postdoctoral scientists to carry out their research at a host institution in the US. The Lindemann Trust Fellowships are awarded to graduates who have shown exceptional promise and the capacity to produce original research in the applied sciences.
We also offer a £1,000 grant to each fellow to assist with travel costs. Following a legacy left by Brigadier Charles Lindemann, the ESU has run the fellowships since March 1972.
Each fellowship lasts for two years and supports research in the fields of astronomy, biophysics, chemistry, engineering, geology, geophysics, mathematics and physics.
- Chance to undertake postdoctoral scientific research in the USA without financial difficulty
- Travel grant worth £1,000
- Fantastic opportunity for professional development, and a differentiating factor on your CV
- Exposure to other points of view and a different way of life
The amount of grants given through the Lindemann Trust Fellowship over the last five years
In the spirit of the fellowship, I have used this time to foster more collaborations and relationships, which is something that feels ever more important in the current political climate. I am heartened that, despite much uncertainty among my colleagues both here and back home, the spirit of international scientific collaboration seems stronger than ever. I am also pleased that my time here has been productive, with one paper published, another currently undergoing peer review, and two more submitting soon. But overall, the most valuable experience with this fellowship has undoubtedly been the chance to explore outside my own academic niche, which I have found very rewarding.
Matthew Horton, Lindemann Fellow 2017
Find out more
We are now closed for applications. We will reopen in October 2021 for Fellowships to begin in September 2022. Interviews for shortlisted candidates for the 2021-23 cycle will be held in April.
If you have any questions or queries about the Lindemann Trust Fellowship, please email Director.Lindemann@gmail.com