- What: The most respected international English-language debating competition
- Age: 14-19
- Price: Individual registration fee of around $700; ESU means-tested bursaries are available. Trialling for the team is free of charge
- When: Late July/early August annually, trials held in November/December annually
The World Schools Debating Championships (WSDC) represents the pinnacle of English-language secondary school debating across the globe. Founded in 1988, this two-week tournament sees teams from 50 to 60 countries go head to head to debate social, moral and political issues. Past competitions have been held everywhere from Turkey and Thailand to Singapore and Croatia, meaning the competition offers the opportunity for international travel and friendships as well as for rigorous intellectual development.
While the ESU no longer manages Team England and Team Wales, we continue to support them in their work, sitting on the board of the overseeing charity. The ESU in particular supports access and inclusion to all at the trial stage and in attendance to the tournaments.
- Prestigious international competition is highly motivating for students and the school as a whole
- Fantastic personal development opportunity for students offering advanced coaching, high-level competition and the opportunity for international travel
- Expert coaching for both development squad members and the final teams. Our coaches have extensive experience and are some of the highest-ranked debaters in the world
- A chance for experienced debaters to really challenge themselves and raise their aspirations
- Builds links and camaraderie with other debaters both nationally and internationally
- Builds cultural awareness and understanding
‘WSDC gave me the opportunity to hear a huge variety of views from across the world, from insights into Trump’s America from Team USA, to different perspectives on how Brexit is viewed from outside the UK. These experiences have cemented my interest in international relations and politics and I leave WSDC with a far better understanding of world affairs.
Aside from making new friends from all around the world, I also have so many memories I shared with my teammates – from the rainy-day training sessions in Starbucks in Cardiff to canapés with the British Ambassador to Croatia at his sumptuous official residence. Oh – and being in Zagreb’s main square watching the Croatian football team competing in its first World Cup final was pretty memorable too!’
Huw Jones, Team Wales participant 2018
Find out more
Applications are invited from all competent debaters and open in late August each year. Regional winners of the Schools’ Mace and the Wales Schools Debating Championships will automatically be invited to trials upon application.
Anyone interested in applying, or in other information can find it at nationaldebateteam.org.uk
Team England 2019
Support the team on Twitter and Instagram @TeamEnglandWSDC or join the Team England at WSDC Facebook group
Team Wales 2019
Support the team on Twitter @TeamWalesWSDC or join the Team Wales at WSDC Facebook group.
Find out more about the organisation that run this global competition