- What: Debating competition for London state/maintained schools
- Age: Years 7, 8 & 9
- Price: Free
- When: Heats run in May, with the finals in July
The London Debate Challenge gives Key Stage 3 students from state and maintained schools across the capital the opportunity to develop the skills required for effective debating through a mixture of expert training and competition. Fun, practical workshops and feedback sessions with experienced ESU trainers allow students to work on strengthening their skills in critical analysis and reasoning, as well as developing their confidence in expression and delivery, all in a supportive learning environment.
The London Debate Challenge has been a fantastic opportunity and I would really recommend that all schools do debating
Teacher, Dunraven School, Lambeth
Why do it
- Fantastic, no-cost way to introduce your students to competitive debate
- Challenges students to engage with wide-ranging cross-curricular topics, while helping to meet National Curriculum speaking and listening targets
- Encourages confidence, critical thinking and social mobility, broadening students’ horizons and opportunities
- Experienced ESU judges give constructive feedback to all participants at all levels of the competition
- All students participate in an ESU trainer-led coaching session at the borough heats
- London-wide competition is highly motivating for students and the school as a whole
- Builds links and camaraderie with other London schools, widening your and your students’ network of contacts
Find out more
Registration opens in January each year. Heats run in May, with the finals in July.
Registration is now closed
If you have any questions or queries about the London Debate Challenge please email email@example.com or call 020 7529 1564.