If, like us, you believe that speaking and listening skills are vital to a child’s development, you can get involved either voluntarily, or through paid opportunities to help us to further the delivery of our work.
Our network of full-time, part-time and voluntary staff help us to deliver our educational programmes and ensure that we reach as many schools as possible.
You will work with young people across England and Wales, improving their communication skills, boosting their confidence and getting them to think about and formulate views on some of the real issues facing all of us around the world.
- You will receive full training and ongoing professional development. The ESU also covers the cost of a Child Protection Level 2 qualification and an Enhanced DBS Disclosure for all mentors
- You will have the opportunity for internships and paid work at ESU headquarters in Mayfair, London
- You will work within a large network of highly trained educators that supports peer to peer learning, with multiple avenues for professional development.
You’ll be paid £85 for a full-day workshop and £65 for a half-day. We also offer week-long projects such as Debate Academy, our residential summer school, where you can earn up to £550.
What are we looking for?
1. Primary School: Discover Debating mentor (One hour-long session a week during term time, £30 per session)
2. Secondary School: Discover Your Voice mentor (ad hoc workshops during term time, full day £85/half day £65)
3. One-off projects: We occasionally advertise for mentors for our residential programmes and International Tours. These mentors are required to complete an application form and attend a briefing day. Keep your eyes peeled for more information!
Applications to attend training have now closed for this academic year. However, if you would like to express an interest in supporting us in the future through judging or volunteering please complete the form below and we will be in touch as soon as there are opportunities in your area.
If you have any questions or would like to find out more
As an ESU Judge you’ll support the delivery of our three national competitions:
Debating: Schools’ Mace (early evening, weekdays; £40 per heat, plus expenses)
Public Speaking: ESU-Churchill National Public Speaking Competition for schools (early evening, weekdays; day time, weekends; voluntary, expenses provided)
Performance: Performing Shakespeare (weekdays, term time; voluntary, expenses provided)
We are currently recruiting judges for this academic year, if you are interested in being part of our team please check the Eligibility Criteria, fill in our sign up form and complete the online training.
- Be over 18 years of age and have the right to work in the UK/EA
- Be available to deliver at the times/dates listed above
- Apply before the deadline date, 22nd April 2018
- you must have teaching/classroom experience, or an interest in promoting oracy skills in the classroom
- attend a 2 day training course in June 2018
The ESU is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people. Therefore, we expect all employees to share this commitment. All appointments are subject to satisfactory pre-employment checks, including a satisfactory Enhanced criminal record with Barred List check through the Disclosure and Barring Service.
The English-Speaking Union is committed to providing equal opportunities in our recruitment process. Completing this form is voluntary and all information you provide will remain confidential, however, it will allow us to assess the diversity of our workforce and ensure equal opportunities for all ESU mentors and judges.