020 7529 1561
FIND YOUR BRANCH
ESU ON TWITTER
From The Rt Hon The Lord Hunt of Wirral MBE PC.
Further to the Notice of a General Meeting of Members to be held at Dartmouth House at 3 pm on Thursday 14 April, I have also sent you together with this letter a copy of the advisory paper produced by the NCEW on your behalf.
The Notice includes the details for the election of my successor as Chairman and the ballot paper you can use to make your choice.
I and the Board of Governors recognise that in the past, many members have not had a personal knowledge of the Governors generally, and of those running for office in particular. We believe that this situation is inappropriate in a modern charity and it is to be hoped that the election of a new Chairman will trigger an overdue renewal of our Royal Charter and the introduction of new and more transparent processes.
There are three candidates for the post of Chairman, each with excellent credentials and you will want to know attributes and vision for the ESU before you send in your ballot papers for counting on 25 May.
The candidates will be introduced to members attending the General Meeting on 14 April but, of course, most members will not find it practical to attend. The candidates recognise this and have asked for the opportunity to meet members informally at branch and regional hustings between now and the middle of May. Within the next few days your local chairman will be contacted to try to find available dates for these hustings. The intention will be for all three candidates to attend on each occasion but, of course, this will depend on their individual availability. Regardless, the Board of Governors do hope that this will give as many members as possible the chance to be fully engaged with this very important Election.
I have decided that it would be more appropriate for the senior Deputy Chairman, Edward Gould, to chair the EGM as, of course, I will shortly be stepping down as Chairman.
- 2012 IPSC Handbook Online Now!
- ESU Public Speaking Competition Videos
- Von Marschall Talks Economics at the ESU
- Meeting Felix Francis
- Walking and Talking
- Logan Wows With Lucrece
- Staff News: Kallina
- New Competition Handbook for Schools Now Online
- Coach The England World School Team
- ESU USA Debate Tour Applications Open
- Database Update
- Thank You!
- Royal Charter and Bye Laws
- Globe Cultural Seminar 2011
- Marsh Biography Award 2011 Shortlist Announced
- Debate Academy 2011
- Ed Hicks Shares the Tricks of His Trade
- Song for the Summer
- Questioning the World
- David Crystal: The King James Bible and the English Language
- Dialogue: ESU Reform Club Debate
- SSE Briefing Day
- House of Lords Tea Party
- Mitt Romney at Dartmouth House
- London Debate Challenge 2011
- New Director General Appointed
- University of Glasgow Win ESU-Essex Court Chambers National Mooting Competition
- Summer Dialogue Available Online
- ESU Iceland Launched
- ESU and Cambridge University Press Launch New Award
- Shakespeare Authorship Debate
- Meet the Author: Tony Iveson
- ESU Librarian Retires
- Republic of Korea Wins IPSC
- Participants Arrive for 30th IPSC
- CMJ at Dartmouth House
- This House Believes
- ESU Scholars Chosen
- Have You Voted?
- Public Speaking Competition Finals
- ESU Membership Secretaries Day
- Capitol Hill Internships 2011
- England Wins International Mace 2011
- Royal Wedding House Party
- Secret Mayfair Walk
- Matt and Alice on This Morning
- Election of Chairman
- 'Letters to Anyone and Everyone' Wins Marsh Award 2011
- Memories of the Churchills
- England Schools Mace Final
- Results of the NCEW's Consultation
- Dialogue: James Milton
- ESU Magazine Celebrates One Year
- Dialogue: Debating for Doctors
- Tales from Felix Dennis
- International Delegation Visits Hong Kong
- An Ambassadors's Perspective
- ESU in Ghana
- Follow the Hong Kong Tour Online
- 20th Anniversary of the English-Speaking Union of Denmark
- International Chairmen Meet in Philadelphia
- ESU Hong Kong Turns 10
- ESU Celebrates 2011 Awards
- 2011 Annual Report Now Online
- D R Thorpe wins the 2011 Marsh Biography Award
- ESU Christmas Raffle Tickets now Available
- Capitol Hill and Assemblée Nationale Internship Applications Now Open
- Winter edition of 'Dialogue' is now available online
- Debating the Evidence
- January - April Events Brochure Now Available
- ‘Phenomenal’ growth by ESU Malta
- Annual Fundraising Appeal for 2012 Announced