020 7529 1582
FIND YOUR BRANCH
ESU ON TWITTER
Our new Secondary School Exchange two-term scholars, their parents, and alumni from the programme, all met at Dartmouth House on Friday 12th November.
The briefing day is a chance for serious questions about aspects of the scheme such as visas and insurance as well as helping clear up other worries or queries about the scholars' time in the US.
SSE alumni Catherine-Maria King, Billy Grace and Jasmine Rahman, who have just returned from their time in America, were on hand to give advice such as "buy bedding there, the beds are a different size" and "take lots of dresses, you'll have lots of formal occasions". Some tips were perhaps more relevant to the female scholars!
Catherine's Mum Angela was also on hand to discuss her experience as an SSE parent and to pass on advice.
The SSE has been running since 1926, and is an annual exchange that gives the chance for final year school students to spend a year or two terms at a US high school and US students to spend a year at a UK boarding school.
In the evening the ESU continued the SSE theme with the annual Thanksgiving Dinner for US students, recent alumni and the two term scholars and their parents. It was a festive occasion with turkey and pumpkin pie, giving a great opportunity for the US scholars to discuss the differences between their UK and US schools and to meet other students involved in the programme. The two term scholars will be leaving in January 2011 and applications for the 2011-2012 three term exchange are now being accepted, the deadline is 25 February 2011.
- New Style of Debating Comes to London
- Lord Watson Honoured
- ESU City Lunches: Elected a Success
- Spreading the Word(s) in Ghana
- Catch Up with SSE Scholars
- ESU Launches New Magazine
- Lindemann Scholarships Decided
- 50 Years of Public Speaking Competition
- JSMM International Final
- Record Entries for Travelling Librarian
- Glasgow Hosts Schools Mace International Final
- Lebanon Wins IPSC 2010
- Birmingham Branch Relaunched
- ESU Launches in Malta and Turkey
- Marsh Award Children's Literature in Translation
- Letter written by Washington Sold at Sotheby's
- Debating the Climate
- Greenwich LDC Final 2010
- SSE Scholars Prepare
- House of Lords Tea Party 2010
- A Rather Royal Great Debate
- Goal Line Technology Finally Debated
- Capitol Hill Alumni Reception
- AMCTG 2010 Awarded
- Branches Conference 2010
- Debate Academy 2010
- SHAKESPEARE STUDY COURSE A 'FEAST OF LANGUAGES'
- IRC 2010: A Global Perspective
- Schools Competitions Handbook Online
- USA Delegation
- Chesterfield Hotel Wins Award
- dialogue Online
- What's Your Favourite Recipe?
- This House Believes
- Debating for Doctors
- Letts Begins Autumn Lunch Series
- Become a Mentor
- 2010 ESU Awards Announced
- College of Public Speaking Corporate Challenge 2010
- Research: Invitation to Tender
- ESU Iceland
- Buckingham Palace Award Ceremony 2010
- Wells Cathedral School Musical Performance
- SSE Briefing and Thanksgiving Dinner 2010
- Baron Guthrie Delivers Churchill Lecture 2010
- 2010 ESU AGM
- JSM Mace - English Champions
- Wells Cathedral School Bring Christmas to the ESU
- ESU Malta Delegation
- Marsh Biography Award - Shortlist Announced
- December dialogue - Online Now
- Election Night party
- Primary Schools Discover Their Voices