020 7529 1577
FIND YOUR BRANCH
ESU ON TWITTER
Cambridge have once again won the English Leg of the John Smith Memorial Mace.
The team, featuring Doug Cochran and Maria English, defeated Oxford (represented by Will Jones and Can Okar), LSE (John Ashborne and Anser Aftab) and a second Cambridge Team (Jack Watson and Harish Natarajan) in a closely contested final on the motion 'This house believes that in British general elections voters should be asked to articulate a preferred coalition partner or partners for their chosen party in the event of a hung parliament, which would not be binding, but which would be published'.
The Mace weekend started with 60 teams, who took part in five rounds of debating before the semi finalists were chosen.
Debate motions ranged from invading Iran to protecting the private lives of politicians families, and were set by the adjudication team, World University Debating , and European University Debating Champion James Dray (Oxford University) twice top ten World University Debating speaker Tim Mooney (Sydney University) and World Debating Championships best speaker Sam Block (Manchester University).
The preliminary rounds of the competition were held this year at Pimlico Academy, to allow for the expansion of competition.
This is the second year in a row Cambridge, and Doug Cochran, have won the English Mace. He and Maria will go on to compete in the International Mace final against the winners of the Welsh, Scottish and Irish Mace, which will be held in Dublin on 30 April 2011.
- New Style of Debating Comes to London
- Lord Watson Honoured
- ESU City Lunches: Elected a Success
- Spreading the Word(s) in Ghana
- Catch Up with SSE Scholars
- ESU Launches New Magazine
- Lindemann Scholarships Decided
- 50 Years of Public Speaking Competition
- JSMM International Final
- Record Entries for Travelling Librarian
- Glasgow Hosts Schools Mace International Final
- Lebanon Wins IPSC 2010
- Birmingham Branch Relaunched
- ESU Launches in Malta and Turkey
- Marsh Award Children's Literature in Translation
- Letter written by Washington Sold at Sotheby's
- Debating the Climate
- Greenwich LDC Final 2010
- SSE Scholars Prepare
- House of Lords Tea Party 2010
- A Rather Royal Great Debate
- Goal Line Technology Finally Debated
- Capitol Hill Alumni Reception
- AMCTG 2010 Awarded
- Branches Conference 2010
- Debate Academy 2010
- SHAKESPEARE STUDY COURSE A 'FEAST OF LANGUAGES'
- IRC 2010: A Global Perspective
- Schools Competitions Handbook Online
- USA Delegation
- Chesterfield Hotel Wins Award
- dialogue Online
- What's Your Favourite Recipe?
- This House Believes
- Debating for Doctors
- Letts Begins Autumn Lunch Series
- Become a Mentor
- 2010 ESU Awards Announced
- College of Public Speaking Corporate Challenge 2010
- Research: Invitation to Tender
- ESU Iceland
- Buckingham Palace Award Ceremony 2010
- Wells Cathedral School Musical Performance
- SSE Briefing and Thanksgiving Dinner 2010
- Baron Guthrie Delivers Churchill Lecture 2010
- 2010 ESU AGM
- JSM Mace - English Champions
- Wells Cathedral School Bring Christmas to the ESU
- ESU Malta Delegation
- Marsh Biography Award - Shortlist Announced
- December dialogue - Online Now
- Election Night party
- Primary Schools Discover Their Voices